Join us as we take part in the Darwin to Dili Yacht Rally from 12 – 19 July, then explore the islands and coastline of Timor-Leste, one of the worlds smallest and newest nations.
The 2014 Darwin Dili Yacht Rally will start from Darwin on Saturday 12 July 2014 at 1000 hours. Click here for the Notice of Event. The course is from the Start Line in Darwin Harbour, Australia to the Finish Line off the city of Dili, Timor-Leste, a distance of 425 NM. Depending on weather conditions the trip will take around 3 days.
The Darwin Dili Yacht Rally is a major event in Timor-Leste’s calendar of events, sponsored by the Timor-Leste Ministry of Tourism to promote the development of the Timor-Leste’s marine tourism industry. In 2013 a fleet of 10 yachts and 60 crew set sail for Dili, Timor-Leste, at 10.00am on Saturday 13 July in 8-10 knots of breeze, making for a great spinaker start. Mango Madness from Darwin, skippered by Bo Whaton, was the first yacht over the start line, followed closely by Gameset and Australian Maid.
The event is limited to 25 yachts due to the physical limitations of the Dili Bay anchorage.
Participation in the Rally includes:
- A Technical Briefing on the Rally and what to expect in Timor-Leste on Sunday 6 July 2014 at 1400 hours (Venue to be advised). Representatives from Timor-Leste will be able to answer any questions you may have regarding your travel, the latest information will be given out, rally reporting scheds will be finalised and the details for your arrival in Timor Leste will also be explained,
- A complementary Rally Barbeque at the Darwin Sailing Club for all crew members on Sunday 6 July 2014 at 1800 hours,
- A ‘one-stop shop’ desk at the Rally headquarters in Dili to provide efficient and simple inwards and outwards processing for all yachts and their crews
- A complementary tour of Dili and surrounds on Thursday 17 July 2014 commencing at 0930 hours.
- A Presentation and welcome function on arrival in Dili on Friday 18 July 2014 at 1000 hours
- A Rally Dinner in Dili on Friday 18 July 2014 and
- The opportunity to add-on a land tour or dive tour of the Timor-Leste islands following the rally.
Whether you have no sailing experience at all or are a competent sea-farer, whether you’re after mile-building or wanting to improve your sailing skills, the Darwin to Dili Rally provides a totally unique experience and is an opportunity to assist Australia’s nearest neighbour in one of the most beautiful destinations in the world.
Spaces are strictly limited to 8 guests only. You will need to make your way to Darwin to arrive no later than 10 July 2014, and make your own arrangements to fly back. Air North flies from Dili to Darwin and is a sponsor of this event.
Price includes all accommodation and meals aboard, accommodation in Dili, day tour of Timor Leste, official welcome dinner, and airport transfers to depart Dili to Darwin. More information on the rally is available at www.sailtimorleste.org.